Burnley earned a crucial win over 10-man Huddersfield to move out of the Premier League relegation zone and condemn the Terriers to a record eighth consecutive league defeat.
Defeat means bottom-of-the-table Huddersfield are eight points from safety.
The Clarets’ win, their second in three days, was sealed when Ashley Barnes slotted home midway through the second half from Ashley Westwood’s pass.
Huddersfield had taken the lead through Steve Mounie’s header in the 33rd minute but conceded an equaliser and had Christopher Schindler sent off within two minutes before half-time.
Wood met Dwight McNeil’s low cross from the left six yards out and swept in for his fifth goal of the season.
Schindler, who had earlier been booked for a foul on Wood, was then shown a second yellow card for hauling down McNeil on the edge of the penalty area.
The German protested after being dismissed, seemingly unaware he had received the first caution earlier in the half.
The bad-tampered game saw Burnley also finish with 10 men when Robbie Brady was sent off for a two-footed tackle in the 90th minute.

Huddersfield’s second successive defeat against a relegation rival follows their 1-0 loss at Fulham on Saturday.
They have also equalled another unwanted club record of four consecutive top-flight home defeats, a record that dates back to the 1934-35 season.
Manager David Wagner was backed by the club’s owner in the match programme and his side started positively and were deserving of their goal.
It came through excellent play with Isaac Mbenza’s fine cross from the left picking out Mounie perfectly for the striker to head in his first goal since April.
But in one minute and 46 seconds at the end of the first half the game changed.
Huddersfield were first guilty of allowing McNeil to get to the byeline and then Wood was sharpest in the box to apply his finish.
The home side were still reeling from the goal when Schindler was sent off.
Despite the confusion around his dismissal, the defender can have no complaints about either yellow card. Firstly, he badly mistimed a tackle to bring down Wood on 30 minutes and then felt he had to bring down McNeil as the 19-year-old charged towards the penalty area.
The winger had taken the ball around him and the Huddersfield player dragged his opponent to the ground despite other defenders being in position to cover.
In the second half Huddersfield pushed for a second goal without creating an open opportunity and now sit in a perilous position.




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here