Rafael Benitez has hinted that he could be ready to extend his stay at Newcastle if he gets the backing to keep the club in the Premier League.
The Magpies are reportedly keen to tie down their manager in a new contract after initially landing him on a three-year deal back in May 2016.
Benitez insists he remains relaxed about his position despite having been linked with a series of other jobs in recent months and is focused purely on the task of keeping the club in the top flight after winning promotion at the first attempt last season.
Asked whether he would seek to delay any talks with owner Mike Ashley until the end of the season, he said: “I don’t have any problem with my future. I’m really pleased here and I love the city, the fans, the potential, everything.
“When I decided to come I had the same feeling. Obviously I have more information now, it’s just a question of doing what we have to do. It’s just to ensure the team is doing well.
“For me it is not an issue. I have to make sure we are doing things in the right way, and if we have this common idea and we are on the same page then I am not worried about that.
“We have to be sure we stay in the Premier League. Then this conversation will be easier.
“I told Mike what I thought, and what I think, about that. He knows my opinion and we don’t have to talk now.”
Benitez, who will send his side into FA Cup fourth round battle with Chelsea on Sunday, is currently awaiting news of the club’s efforts to provide him with the reinforcements he has requested ahead of the transfer window’s closure on Wednesday night.
They have so far landed Chelsea midfielder Kenedy on loan, but seen their efforts to prise Denmark international striker Nicolai Jorgensen from Feyenoord’s grasp come to nothing with time running down fast.
Benitez said: “The main thing is that we have to be on the same page, that’s pretty simple. But pages are big.”